Tuesday 26 May 2015

No Light, No Fuel!

So, I had not fully understood how
negatively the fuel scarcity was affecting
all activities until I decided to go get my
hair done last week. Previously,  I had discovered a lovely beauty parlor and the nice Muslimah who owns it told me I could come in at any time and be assured of privacy though it's not run strictly for Muslimahs. 

The style I wanted required making use of the hooded dryer and when I made my request,  the stylist looked at me as if I had grown horns. "Aunty no light, no fuel". Me, "Toh! What will we do now?"  Inwardly, I asked myself, " Which kain question you dey ask the girl so? You want make she turn water to fuel?".  



 

Remembering that air drying is better for the hair, I opted to air dry, #TeamHealthyHair. Our version of air drying was achieved by making use of the hand fan aka 'abebe'. 

Thinking that was the end of the struggle,  I headed home happily only to get home and discover that PHCN had not restored power supply all day. "Haba! Nepa, why now?". Well, they seemed to hear me because power was restored for about 10 minutes after which all my 'pleas' fell on deaf ears.

    Two days later as I tried to make wudhu, the tap made that mocking sound of sucking in air telling me that we had run out of water. Now, it was no longer 'No light, No fuel' , 'No water' had also joined the mantra. So, the water management exercise began. Who keeps water at home? There was just a little that was stored and I began wishing I had a large drum to store water whilst my neighbor who has one just didn't think it necessary to store water. By the next day, water was completely exhausted. Sachet water was reserved for wudhu and cooking. How then was one expected to take a shower or get 'number two' done?. The one mai ruwa in the neighborhood was AWOL. Obviously,  he couldn't get water too so how will he sell what he doesn't have?. I called up my good friends living close by and luckily, water was still being sold in their area. Maashaa Allaah! Armed with kegs in the car trunk I opened the gate to prepare for the journey to water and right there outside the gate was the most beautiful sight I had seen in days! A mai ruwa's truck stood there in its full glory with black twenty five litre kegs of water telling me not to bother going anywhere. Seriously,  I didn't know whether to cry or scream with joy.  "Verily,  after hardship is ease." 



  SubhanAllaah!  The little things we take for granted. Presently, there are places affected by drought with no near end in sight. May Allaah grant them ease soon, Aameen. Like the hilarious yinklezdimplez said in one of her serious moments,  these times are a reminder to be humble. Many people had money to purchase fuel and some even purchased at up to five hundred naira per litre but at a point, there was no fuel to purchase.
  There are people whose daily struggle is to have those things we consider basic. How often do we thank Him?  How often do we lend them a helping hand?
  Our nation is in dire need of His Mercy. Poverty is evident in so many places whilst some live in so much excess. May Allah grant peace to this land soon, Aameen.
How did the fuel scarcity affect you?

Wa Salaam Alaykum!

No comments:

Post a Comment