Wednesday 27 July 2016

I Know A Man





Once upon a time in my little world, I

woke up daily to see his smiling face.

Don't get me wrong, there were days

when the look on his face was stern. I

should know because I was a lot of

trouble while growing up. This didn't

stop him from loving me or loving us

all. That was his way, his heart was

made of gold and had nothing but love

for all.


It was he who first taught me the

meaning of selflessness not by speech

but by action. He never was one to

discriminate. In his eyes, everyone was

the same, whether rich or poor.

Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala says; “O you who believe! Fear Allah and speak a word that is right. He will set right for you your deeds and forgive you your sins. And whoever obeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly attained a great achievement.” [ Sûrah al-Ahzâb : 70-71] 

His Messenger (peace be upon him) also said : “Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak a good word or remain silent. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his neighbor. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest.” [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

Even before I learned this from the

Quran and hadith, I had learned it

from his actions.

I could go on about him but the words

will never be enough and my eyes are

filled with tears and this screen is

blurry. I cry just like I do now every

time I pass by that pedestrian bridge

at Charity bus stop, you know that one

in front of the Armed Forces

Resettlement Centre? I cry because I

remember the first time I climbed it,

it was with him holding my small hand

in his for my first day in secondary

school. I cry because I remember a

dark night that I cried in my sleep and

didn't even know it. But he heard me

and came to me and found a remedy

for my tooth ache. I cry because I

remember how he always had a

listening ear and I know he can't hear

me again. What I have is memories and

I will keep them forever in my heart.

Memories of a great man, whose living

touched the lives of so many. An

honest man, a kind man, a good man

whose kind is truly hard to find.

You may wonder why I used 'know'

instead of its past tense 'knew' in the

title. It's because even though he's no

more, this heart of mine will know him

for as long as Ar Rahman permits it. I

called him Daddy. The father of my

heart, a father like no other.

P.S- Whenever our hearts ache due to the pain of losing our loved ones, let's always remember to say a dua for them as well as give thanks to Allah for making them a part of our transient stay on earth. Loss is painful, May Allah grant solace to everyone who has suffered the pain of loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment